Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Who Loves You?

I love dogs!  I really love my dogs!  I have a black labrador, we'll call her Orange (she wants to remain anonymous in blog)  who is 11 years old...we think.  She was 10 for a few years. Do you do that?  I would forget the kids ages too, but they love to tell us how old they are!  I have a two year old Scottish Terrorist (we'll call her Cyrus) - my rescue dog.  Yes, I am all about the animals.  Well okay, I rescued her from my mother and thank god we did.  My mother would have turned her into in a barky, nervous, abnoxious terrier.    For some unknown reason the scotty is the alpha dog and pretty much the boss of all of us.  She demands everything from us and doesn't take "NO" as an answer and we comply fully with her doggy desires.

I have had a few dogs in my life and they have always been my best friends.  I did have a couple of nutty dogs; a beagle and a chesapeake - not so good.  The Chessy ate a hole thru a wall and I came home to find her head sticking out of the house while her body was inside! My labradors have been the best dogs ever.  They are so kind, so friendly and so willing to please. Orange will do anything to get a pet or a hug, but if Cyrus jumps into the middle which she is likely to do, Orange will back away.  Problem with Labs is that they get rather smelly as they age.  My mother likes to say they are rotting from the inside out.  I don't wish to share those sentiments, but sometimes it seems so.  It is hard to brush their teeth - is anyone successfull with this?  Her teeth are black!  You would smell too if you hadn't brushed your teeth for 11 years. Then there is the shedding... jeez Orange's shedding season runs all year. Piles and piles of dusty black hair...in chunks around the house.  Dog ownership at its finest.

Cyrus is young and doesn't have the older dog smells so she gets more attention.  Sad for Orange. Who comes running when we are sad, down in the dumps, sniffling noses from a cold, or just lonely....our dogs.  They always show up at your side at the right time or in my case on my lap or bed!!  They love unconditionally...except I think they are mad cuz the ex isn't around to walk them!

1 comment:

  1. ah yes... we have a rotting lab.... at least we have someone to blame the unintentioned smells on... poor old guy. He's sleeping at my feet right now! I love the way they actually let it rip OUTLOUD as they get older! At first no one believed me, but now we all know better! Pfffft! hahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete