Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dear Daughter

Why do teenage girls have to be mean to each other when they are suppose to be best friends?  They can be manipulative, back stabbing, lieing, name calling little bitches to be blunt! I have been disturbed by this phenomena for many years. I have tried thinking back to my grade school and high school years - a little difficult drumming up that far back. I remember a little back in grade school.  I hung around boys in high school and maybe that's why - I couldn't put up with the drama.  Is it just one of the hardships of growing up?  Do all teenage girls experience this in their lives?

My daughter happens to be the object of one of these mean girls.  I can't stand watching her go through this.  Once a best friend can now no longer be trusted. I counsel her and love her, but it doesn't take the pain away.  If these girls knew how important your girl friendships are when you are 48 would they continue with their behavior. Would it give them pause before they lied, manipulated, or back stabbed their so called best friend.  I tell you I wouldn't live through it.  I think also with today's technology is so easy for girls to do these things. Emailing, texting, iming, fbing...its all so anonymous and unfeeling - not  much is face to face anymore.  Would the mean girls do these things face to face?  I have my doubts.

Hang in there my beautiful, sweet, loving daughter it won't be like this forever.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right and a good mom counseling your daughter in this way. The real sad part is that these "mean girls" grow up to be mean women. I know this to be true because I have dealt with several as adults.

    Look on the bright side, your daughter is learning some valuable coping lessons right now that will help her in her adult life

    ReplyDelete
  2. It used to be that we would get a mean note slid through the crack in our locker door. So painful, all of it. Can't you still remember who the girls were that were mean to YOU? When I see them now I would like to smack them and tell them what they did to me at 12, 13, 14, etc. Some of them are STILL mean! But at our age, we don't have to see them every day, like our kids do. Tell "daughter" that we love her and that this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete